Post Insertion Instructions
- No vigorous physical activity for 48 hours following the procedure.
- You may shower in 24 hours. A dry dressing (with antibiotic ointment) may be applied during
the day to protect the incision. After the first 24 hours, leave the incision open to air at night.
- Keep the insertion site clean and dry.
- You may apply an ice pack for 1-2 hours following the procedure which will help with swelling.
- You may have some mild redness or bruising around the small insertion site, this is normal.
- Mild discomfort for up to 72 hours following the procedure is also normal.
- Infection is very rare. However, if redness and swelling increases after 48 hours you may
have a minor skin infection or bruising.
- Call the office for any questions.
- Remember that your Implanon implant will not be protecting you from pregnancy for 14 days
from the time of insertion. Continuous use of an additional reliable contraceptive
method for the next 14 days is a must.
- You should notify your other health care provider(s) that you have the Implanon.